Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Reflections 6 Months Later

I started this blog six months ago, very excited about Jung Myung-Seok's rape conviction. I remember when I was looking for answers, I went to jmscult.com, and through the forums I found a compelling case that Jung is not the Messiah and that Providence, for whatever reasons and convictions they hold, keeps information hidden from members they feel are not ready to receive it yet. Although the site helped, I felt it would have greatly helped to have strong apologetics that breaks down and refutes all of Providence doctrine point-by-point through careful study of the Scriptures. When I faced my former 30 Lessons teacher to discuss with him my intentions to leave Providence, I had to gut out some tough questions he asked me, with not much to say on my part at the time.

Realizing that with the rape conviction, several Providence members may be more open to looking at outside sources for the truth, I made this blog to fill the need I had when I was searching for answers, and that others would now have.

This blog has been inactive since last August. I haven't forgotten about it, but I've been busy, and to be honest, moved on from Providence and lost the urge to continue my efforts. I still check jmscult.com's forums every now and then for updates on Providence. Recently, Jung's sentence was upgraded to 10 years, and one of American Providence's leaders, Ralph, has made a surprising move in reaching out to the "anti-Providence" community and admitting mistakes on Providence's part, even admitting the existence of the Lover's Principle (atonement for sins through sex with Jung).

I feel it's time I posted some sort of update to this blog in case anyone actually reads it or ever does. People ultimately do not choose to follow a certain way because of an intellectual argument. Providence's most powerful argument (and what worked on me) is to "look at our members to see the truth of this." They are good people, and they have great community. They accept you and tell you that you are great, that you can make yourself into an amazing person with God's help and change the world. They have something that we all want in our lives.

You're not going to convince someone in that context that they are following someone who has deceived them for his own good when you use an intellectual argument. So I question whether my initial approach was the best way to reach out to the Providence community. I doubt that remarks like "deceptive and dangerous cult" and "smaller, second-rate derivative of the Unification Church" will lead to communication and openness with Providence members.

So I apologize if I offended anyone in Providence with my tone in the previous posts of this blog. I want to reach out to you with an open mind and a desire to understand your way of seeing things. I don't pretend I know everything, or that Christians have everything figured out. We're trying to figure out the truth in this messy world, just like everyone else.

I'll leave the previous posts up, as they have information that hopefully is of some help to somebody who may read it someday. I might do more analysis on Providence doctrine in the future, with a more respectful attitude. Ultimately, I hope that someday all the facts will be accessible to everyone, and that both sides can have honest and respectful discussion with each other.

6 comments:

sdbri said...

Great thoughts, as you pointed out intellectual arguments won't work because many people join Providence for friends and validation. They see how nice recruiters are to them, and for many members even if there are rapes it doesn't affect them personally. It's really the South Park episode on Mormonism - they reason they stay is for the social and emotional aspects.

J. and Paul Kim, the founder of JMS/Providence in America say it best:
http://jmscult.com/testimonies.html

This is the real reason people are still in Providence, and the reason why most members will eventually leave.

Every member needs to ask themselves, why the lies and the behavior used to recruit and keep you? Why do you think Jung espouses the "Lover's Principle" and chooses from revealing photos of members he wants to have sex with? Why has he threatened the ones who resisted with damnation if they tell anyone? Why does he repeatedly "save" the same women he finds most attractive through sex? Why are they always lying to you about this, even now?

Anonymous said...

Hello. Rather than looking for everything in jmscult.com i found your blog more friendly. Helped me a lot.

Anonymous said...

Um yea ive been in it for 4 years and idk if this thing is all true and honest someone please tell me im at a breakingpoint of leaving

Anonymous said...

To the last Anonymous posted December 20, 2013,
I will be praying that Our Living LORD and Savior Jesus Christ in His precious name, you will have the strength to leave. Greater is He that is in you than he that is in the world. Read your Bible, run to Jesus! He is our refuge and fortress, a very present help in time of trouble.Trust in Him. My son is in it too I am praying for His deliverance and freedom in Christ Jesus. Flee don't turn back. God will take care of you. Psalm 9:9-10

Anonymous said...

Leave, please leave. The women I love is a part of this cult. It breaks my heart everyday to know that she believes Jung's lies. I too almost believed their lies but I had a basic understanding of theology before listening to their bizzare teachings and left. She has been a member for years and was so before I met her. She has been "conditioned" and I couldn't help her, her brainwashing was too strong. I couldn't stand to see her believe his lies and every time I tried to talk to her about Jung's lies she would get upset, I couldn't help her. I pray for her and the people of providence every day that you'll all see Jung for the wolf he is. Come January it will have been a year since I spoke to her. You must have someone that loves you: family, friends, a potential mate. Let them know you are seeing the truth and ask that they pray for you. This cult is dangerous, you must seek help and leave, please leave.

Anonymous said...

Please read what various news articles have to say about Providence and Pastor Jung: http://jmsprovidence.com/